Signals for Anger Management
About Jim Gabbard
Jim Gabbard, M.Ed.
, is a prevention specialist consultant, working in the San Antonio, Texas area. Mr. Gabbard has worked most recently as a counselor for an Award Winning STEM academy (2009-2012). Mr. Gabbard's work includes 15 years as a crisis counselor (1994 - 2009) in two urban high schools. He is listed in the Texas Counseling Association's Talent Bank as a consultant in School Mediation and Anger Management. Jim was an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Public Justice at St. Mary's University and an advisory faculty member for The South Texas College of Law (Director, Hon. Frank Evans). He is a charter member of Southern Poverty Law Center. Mr. Gabbard is connected with the Consultation Cadre for The Center for Mental Health in Schools Project (UCLA), and is a member of the Youth Mental Health Advisory Board (S.A.) Mr. Gabbard is certified in Glasser Reality Therapy. Mr. Gabbard was recognized as a South Texas Counseling Association Crisis Team Counselor of the Year (2009). Mr. Gabbard has had a variety of counseling and mediation experiences including: Group Drug Prevention; Anger Management Groups (Juvenile Probation); School Counseling; Mediator at Dispute Resolution Centers.
Participated/Supervised over 3192 mediations since 1994.
Workshops and Training for the Following:
- 1984 DENVER: initial training in family/divorce mediation, 40 hr. with trainers, Chris Moore and Mary Margaret Golten.
- 1984-85 HOUSTON: additional training, and participated in mediators working with Police project.
- 1986-90 SAN ANTONIO: volunteer; 24 hrs advanced family mediator training.
- 1994 ALBUQUERQUE: 24 hours of advanced training for At- Risk Youth including multi-party/gang related disputes.
- National Conference on Education and Mediation, Washington D.C.(A.B.A.)(1988)
- National N.A.M.E. & CREnet conferences in:
Santa Fe(1989), Los Angeles(1990), Norton,Mass.(1992), Racine, Wisconsin(1993), Arlington, TX(1997)
- Austin Educators for Social Responsibility (1987-88)
- Texas Counseling Association Conferences (1987-94, 2003)
- Texas Elementary Counselors Spring Meeting (T.E.A.) (1990)
- The National Symposium on Drugs and Gang Violence, S.A. Hispanic Police Officers Assn. (1991)
- T.E.A. (Texas Department of Education) Regions 11,13,20
- Texas Conference on Students in At-Risk Situations (1992-1993)
- Texas War on Drugs, Adult Leadership (1993)
- Comal County Juvenile Probation Group (1993-94, 2000-2002)
- South Texas Counseling Association (1994- 95, 2004)
- Texas Initiatives for Mediation in Education (1996)
- National Conference - Prejudice reduction and bias awareness (1996, 2004)
- Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse (1998)
- Southern States Knowledge Conference: Youth Violence Prevention (UTHSC) (2006)
- South Texas Counseling Association (2012)
- International Conference William Glasser Institute & completing Advanced Practicum (2008)
- Glasser International Conference in Chicago (2011)
- Glasser Sunbelt Region Conferences (2009, 2010, 2012)
- Midwestern State University (2012)
Mr. Gabbard is certified as a family mediator in Texas and has over 184 hours of training, including advanced family mediation training. In 1995 Mr. Gabbard was selected as a coach for the Advanced Negotiation II course with lead ABA trainer, Professor Charles B. Craver of George Washington U. Mr. Gabbard is a member of the Alamo Area Mediators Association. Mr. Gabbard
is Reality Therapy Certified, 2009. Trained as Reality Therapy Practicum Supervisor. 2011
web design and hosting by MonteVistaWebs.com